Arrival in Liverpool, January 1944

Maybe John you can recognized some pilots…

RCAF No. 443 Squadron

From this picture found on the Internet in 2013…

443 Squadron Pilots arriving in England in 1944

To this when Nicole Morley met Ivor Williams…

Nicole 001 (2)

And to this from Tara, Paul-Émile Piché’s granddaughter…

Squadron photo Jan 1944

Squadron photo Jan 1944 Paul Emile Piché

Paul-Émile Piché

Squadron photo Jan 1944 Art Horrell

Art Horrell

Squadron photo Jan 1944 Luis Perez-Gomez

Luis Perez-Gomez

Squadron photo Jan 1944 Alex Hunter

Alex Hunter

Squadron photo Jan 1944 C E Scarlet

C E Scarlet

Squadron photo Jan 1944 Ferguson

? Ferguson

Squadron photo Jan 1944 Gordon Frederick Ockenden

Gordon Frederick Ockenden

Squadron photo Jan 1944 Henry Wallace McLeod

Henry Wallace McLeod

Squadron photo Jan 1944 Ivor Williams

Ivor Williams

Squadron photo Jan 1944 L H Wilson

L H Wilson

Squadron photo Jan 1944 M V Shenk

M V Shenk

Squadron photo Jan 1944 P G Bockman

P G Bockman

Squadron photo Jan 1944 T G Munroe

T G Munroe

Squadron photo Jan 1944 unidentified pilot

unidentified pilot

Squadron photo Jan 1944 W A Aziz

W A Aziz

View original post

12 thoughts on “Arrival in Liverpool, January 1944

  1. Good pm Pierre, can’t say I do…
    I knew some pilots,to me they all looked alike. They didn’t know my name. As an erk you responded to “EH YOU”.

    A la prochaine…

    John B

    • No. 1. Y. Depot
      Lachine, Province of Quebec, to Dighby, Lincolnshire, England
      January 13, 1944 to January 19, 1944

      This was our squadron’s point of embarkation for England. We started by spending one week at the Y Depot where all the paper work, medical shots, etc. were completed. The ship that took us across in six days was the S.S. Louis Pasteur, a fast ship that sailed without escort. Our accommodations consisted of twelve bunks, six on each side of the cabin. I won’t say that we were crowded but there was so little room between the bunks, vertically, that to turn over, one had to get out of bed, walk around to the other side of the bunk and get in, facing the other way.

      We had the usual roll call to answer each morning, and the rest of the day to ourselves, except for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The whole contingent was divided into three groups and we were in shifts. This made for weird eating hours, but at least the food was good.

      As usual, there wasn’t any room for us at our next base and we had to spend two days on the Pasteur, in the Liverpool harbor waiting to go ashore.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s