World War II
No. 403 (Fighter) Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), was formed at Baginton, Warwickshire, England on March 1, 1941.
The first Squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) formed overseas under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP). The letters KH identified it.
Initially equipped with the Curtiss (P40B) Tomahawk MK 1 , they were replaced with the Supermarine Spitfire
after only 29 operational sorties. Through continual replacement and updating, the Squadron flew various models, MK 1 through MK XVI, of this very popular aircraft.
The Squadron served in the Royal Air Force (RAF) Fighter Command and Second Tactical Air Force for over four years.
By May 1945 , the Squadron had a record of 123 enemy Aircraft destroyed, with a share in seven more, 10 probably destroyed and 72 damaged with a share in one more.
An equally impressive number of ground targets had been destroyed or damaged including 30 tanks, 50 locomotives and nearly 100 other vehicles. Sixteen Distinguished Flying Crosses (DFC), four DFC with Bar and one Military Medal were awarded to members of the Squadron, in addition to a number of Mentions in Despatch.
Like many other units, the price the “Wolf” Squadron was to pay in lives and Aircraft was high. Eighty-five Aircraft were destroyed and a total of 76 pilots were reported missing. Of these, four were killed, 39 presumed dead, 21 captured, nine successfully evaded capture and three…